Peoria Historical Society will resume its history bus tours this fall, including the popular Haunted Peoria Tour throughout October.
“After hosting walking tours in June and July the society will again, like in past years, provide bus tours to give participants the comfort of an air-conditioned, 20-passenger shuttle bus,” said history tours coordinator Beth Johnson. “Participants still will receive fascinating, in-depth looks at aspects of Peoria, from its prosperous whiskey distilling days, to the Roaring 1920s, to notable people who shaped the community and much, much more.”
Some tours will include brief stops at places of interest, like a local tavern during the Roll out the Barrel Tour and the Soldiers and Sailors Monument during the Roots of the River City Tour.
Tours will be from 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays. Additional tours will run from 1:00 - 2:30 p.m. Saturdays in October. Tours leave from the Caterpillar Visitors Center, 110 SW Washington St. Face coverings will be required.
Tickets are $18 and are available at 309tix.com or by calling the historical society at 309-674-1921.
Tour schedules are as follows:
- Sept. 3 – Roots of the River City Tour gives an overview of Peoria history from its early days as a French fur trading outpost in the late 1600s to today. Includes a stop at Peoria County Courthouse square.
- Sept. 4 – Naughty to Nice Tour recalls Peoria’s Prohibition days, the raucous Roaring ‘20s and the city’s wink toward vice in the 1930s.
- Sept. 10 – Roll out the Barrel Tour focuses on Peoria’s years as “Whiskey Capital of the World.” Includes a stop at Kelleher’s bar.
- Sept. 11 – Notable Peoria Women Tour honors 24 women who impacted Peoria and beyond.
- Sept. 17 – World’s Most Beautiful Drive Tour explores the history and homes along Grandview Drive.
- Sept. 18 – Warehouse District Renaissance Tour recalls the once-bustling district and examines renovations taking place today. Includes a stop at Sous Chef market.
- Sept. 24 – Historic Springdale Cemetery Tour explores the peaceful grounds and revisits Peoria history through stories of its former residents. Includes a tour inside the mausoleum.
- Sept. 25 – Roots of the River City Tour. Includes a stop at Peoria County Courthouse square.
- Oct. 1 – Haunted Peoria Tour investigates curses, legends and chilling sightings occurring in years past to today.
- Oct. 2 – Naughty to Nice Tour a.m./Haunted Peoria Tour p.m. Includes a stop at Pettengill-Morron House Museum.
- Oct. 8 – Haunted Peoria Tour.
- Oct. 9 – Haunted Peoria Tour a.m./Roll out the Barrel Tour p.m. Includes a stop at Kelleher’s bar.
- Oct. 15 – Roots of the River City Tour.
- Oct. 16 – Haunted Peoria Tour a.m./Haunted Peoria Tour p.m. includes a stop at Flanagan House Museum.
- Oct. 22 – World’s Most Beautiful Drive Tour.
- Oct. 23 – Springdale Cemetery Tour a.m. Includes a tour inside the mausoleum/Haunted Peoria Tour p.m. Includes a stop at Pettengill-Morron House Museum.
- Oct. 29 – Warehouse District Renaissance Tour. Includes a stop at Sous Chef market.
- Oct. 30 – Haunted Peoria Tour a.m./Haunted Peoria Tour p.m. Includes a stop at Kelleher’s bar.
Evening Haunted Peoria Tours will take place from 5:00 - 6:30 p.m. Oct. 28 and 29.