The sky above the East Peoria and Peoria riverfronts will be filled with the largest fireworks display in the state during UnityPoint Health Red, White and Boom on July 4.
Events in East Peoria will occur in RiverFront Park, behind Walmart SuperCenter, starting at 5 p.m. Wildlife Prairie Park will present exhibits, and grilled bratwurst and pork chops will be available from the East Peoria Community High School Athletic Boosters through 8 p.m. Mix 106.9 will conduct a live radio broadcast from 5-10 p.m.
The fireworks display, shot from barges in the center of the Illinois River between the Bob Michel and Murray Baker bridges, will start at 9:30 p.m.
Grills, fireworks and sparklers are not allowed in RiverFront Park. To prevent damage to RiverFront Park’s irrigation system, tents and gazebos cannot be staked to the ground. All tents need to be removed by 8:45 p.m.
Bass Pro Shops will close its store at 6 p.m. on July 4, and its parking lot will be available for fireworks viewing via Riverside Drive.
Fireworks attendees need to pay attention to the no parking signs at Walmart and the Riverside Center businesses. No RV or trailer parking is allowed in the RiverFront Park parking lot.
Handicapped parking spaces will be in the parking lot adjacent to RiverFront Park and in Walmart’s parking lot near the automotive center. They are available on a first come, first served basis. Vehicles must display the proper handicapped license plate or mirror tag.
The East Peoria Police Department encourages patience and humor when driving to and from the fireworks viewing areas, and to be aware of pedestrians and officers directing traffic. There is significant road construction along West Washington and Camp streets, and motorists should expect delays.
These are the July 4 traffic patterns:
- Walmart – Vehicles in the Walmart parking lot will exit on River Road to West Washington Street, turn left on West Washington and continue east to the roundabout where they can go toward the Cedar Street Bridge or continue east on Washington to Main Street. The Interstate 74 on-ramp on West Washington by River Road is closed due to construction.
- Bass Pro – Vehicles in the Bass Pro Shop parking lot will exit the lot onto Riverside Drive, following it to West Camp Street. They will turn east (left) onto West Camp Street and can turn left onto the I-74 on-ramp or continue to Main Street where vehicles can turn north on Main or continue east on Camp. No westbound traffic will be allowed on West Camp Street from Main Street to River Road.
- Target – Vehicles in the Target parking lot can exit onto Spinder Drive or Clock Tower Drive. Spinder Drive traffic will be directed to either turn right on West Washington toward the roundabout toward the I-74 on-ramp or continue to the Cedar Street Bridge. Traffic exiting onto Clock Tower Drive will be directed to the roundabout and can continue to the I-74 on-ramp on West Washington Street, to the Cedar Street Bridge or to eastbound Washington Street toward Main Street.
- Planet Fitness – Vehicles in the Planet Fitness area of Main Street will be directed onto Springfield Road or may go south on Main toward Creve Coeur. Northbound Main Street will be closed at West Washington Street at 9:15 p.m. until fireworks traffic has cleared.
- Southbound Main Street will be closed at Camp Street at 9:15 p.m. until fireworks traffic has cleared.
- At 9 p.m. Camp Street will be closed eastbound at River Road and westbound Camp Street will be closed at Riverside Drive.
The Red, White and Boom rain date, for rain or high winds, is July 5 with the same times and locations. For more details about Red, White and Boom in East Peoria, visit www.cityofeastpeoria.com.