The Monmouth College women's basketball team had to work into overtime on Wednesday, November 16, but they came away with their first win of the season, 59-54 at Eureka College. After leading by as many as 14 in the second half, the Scots sent the game to overtime with nine seconds remaining and won the extra period 12-7 to win the game. 

The Scots jumped out to a 7-3 lead in the first 90 seconds of the game after Jadyn Mitchell (Flanagan, Illinois) made a 3-pointer. The lead went to five on a bucket by freshman Olivia Dinges (Amboy, Illinois) and the Scots ended the first quarter with a 16-9 lead after Mitchell made a pair of free throws. 

A 3-pointer by freshman Madison Heisch (Illinois City, Illinois) gave the Scots a 19-9 lead before Eureka cut the lead to six. Zoie Wall (Bartonville, Illinois) made a bucket and neither team scored for the next 5:20 before the Red Devils scored three points in the final 33 seconds of the half to cut the Monmouth lead to 21-16. 

Wall scored the first basket of the second half and Lily Harlan (Washington, Illinois) hit a 3-pointer to put the Scots back up by 10 at 29-19. Eureka went on a 7-0 run before Tarae Warner (Burlington, Iowa) hit a pair of free throws. Mitchell and Harlan followed with baskets and Allie Hoy (Woodland, Illinois) made a free throw. Harlan and Ella Goodrich (Minonk, Illinois) scored buckets and Monmouth led 40-26 at the end of the third quarter.

Eureka made two free throws and then got their first field goal in nearly seven minutes to cut the Monmouth lead to 40-30. They continued to score with two field goals, two free throws and a 3-pointer cutting the lead to 40-39. Goodrich made a free throw to stop the run at 13-0 with 4:33 to play, giving the Scots their first point of the fourth quarter. Eureka took the lead at 42-41 with 4:22 left and pushed the lead to 44-41. Dinges made a free throw and after a Red Devils basket, Mitchell made a 3-pointer. Eureka went on top 47-45 with a free throw but missed the second one with 38 seconds left. The teams traded possessions and Warner tied the game with a layup with nine seconds left before Eureka missed a contested shot on their last possession. 

Eureka scored first in overtime before Ashley Jones (Abingdon, Illinois) had a putback to tie the game. Mitchell's layup gave the Scots the lead before Eureka tied it again. Warner scored, but again, Eureka tied the game with 2:12 to play. Dinges made a layup with 1:56 left and Warner blocked a shot to give the Scots the ball with a 55-53 lead. Warner scored on the next possession and Eureka called timeout down 57-53. They made a free throw but missed the second, trailing 57-54. Monmouth missed two free throws, Eureka turned the ball over and Monmouth missed two more free throws with 33 seconds left. After the Red Devils missed and Warner secured the rebound, Mitchell made two free throws with 10 seconds left to ice the game, 59-54. 

Mitchell led the Scots with 17 points while Warner had 11. Wall and Harlan both had seven points while Dinges had five. Warner grabbed nine boards with Dinges securing seven and Harlan six. Wall led the Scots with three assists. 

MONMOUTH MOMENTS: The Scots held Eureka to 27.7% shooting in the game, 21.4% from 3-point range. Monmouth's bench outscored Eureka's 14-4. The Scots had 30 points in the paint. Mitchell was 2-for-3 from 3-point range. Mitchell, Wall, Goodrich and Harlan are all from the Eureka/Peoria area. The Scots have won the last three meetings with the Red Devils. Monmouth lost their last two trips to the Reagan Athletic Complex, in 2017 and 2014. Monmouth plays at Illinois Tech on Saturday with a 1 p.m. tipoff. The home opener will be at 6 p.m. Monday against MSOE.